Background

Tuesday, November 9, 2010

November 9: Improv Society

I don't think I've ever told you of the other society that I've actually managed to stay a part of. I am a part of the Improv Society. It's not exactly what I expected, but I'm able to do a little bit of acting this semester and hopefully next semester I'll get into a play or something. I just didn't want to audition this semester.

Now, I'm actually pretty good at Improv. Or, I can be. It's hard to explain, but on an Improv team you need to be very well in sync with one another. This is why my friend Burke and I kicked butt at it back home. I don't' know exactly why, but he and I seemed to know each other's moves when it came to Improv. We were the one's who would give the talk in the beginning Drama class about exactly what Improv was and what it's few but important rules were. It was the same with all of my friends. We just knew each other so well that we knew what would bother/annoy the other so we were able to stay away from those topics. It is a delightful experience when you know the person so well who is doing your scene with you.

I'm still getting to know these people in the Improv Society. It doesn't really help that fact that a few of us have a different native language. Not that that's bad, but it sometimes hinders the communication on stage because of the different cultural backgrounds we each have. It's a learning process and it takes a while for a new Improv team to be truely "good." But every Tuesday I go and have fun. Tonight we're suppose to be going out for drinks afterwards, but I don't know if I'll go. I don't mind the occasional distraction, but I do have another essay due on Friday that I haven't started on...but, perhaps it's time for me to try being irresponsible. Just this once.

No comments:

Post a Comment