Background

Wednesday, November 3, 2010

November 3 (Part 2): Pictures

For my History of Art essay I am suppose to choose 2 paintings from the 1400-1600 and compare and contrast them. Here are the two paintings I chose to compare.

This is Madonna Litta by Leonardo Da Vinci. He was a painter of the High Renaissance so this is, obviously, a High Renaissance painting.
This is Madonna with the Long Neck by Girolamo Francesco Maria Mazzola, or as he is better know, Parmigianino. This is a Mannerism painting. Mannerism is the last part of the Italian Renaissance.

The reason I chose these two was because the subject matter is the same. They are both painting of the Virgin Mary with the Christ Child. I figure it would be easier to compare the different styles and mediums and techniques used if the subject of the paintings were the same. That and I love Leonardo's work and Madonna with the Long Neck is one of the most interesting paintings I've seen. It's just my personal opinion of course. Parmigianino has also painted a few other paintings that I have found particularly interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment