Background

Sunday, October 10, 2010

A Break-Down

So, Friday evening I had what you might call a slight break-down. If you've ever seen "Julie & Julia" (a personal movie and book favourite. I highly recommend you see the movie and read the book if you haven't already) then you must remember the part where Amy Adams as Julie Powell says "And I cried. Like a small, emotionally disturbed child..." That was pretty much me Friday night.
First off on Friday I went to the bank to kindly explain to them that because their online application for an Easy Cash Account was flawed I still did not have an account and the University sent me a check for 200 pounds that I wanted to cash. They said there was really nothing they could do for me to make the process go faster (But I've been here for almost a month now and it was your stupid fault that my first two applications haven't gone through!) and that they would check the online application and fix the problem. That still left me with having to fill out a form in the bank (something I avoided at the beginning because they told me it would take 3-4 weeks to process and the online app usually only took a week and a half...yeah right! That worked out didn't it?) and having to wait 3-4 weeks for my account to be set up. Stupid bank!
Then I waited around for my package to be redelivered when I got an email telling me that they had lost it (this is the package with my medication in it) and that they were "sorry for the inconvenience they had caused". So, I cried...like a small, emotionally disturbed child. So, I took an hour long nap, woke up, and went to the kitchen to make hot chocolate which, as everyone knows, makes any situation better. What did I find as I walked into the kitchen but a "Sorry, you were out" card from the mail timed at 7am! I was up at 7am and did anyone ring the room to tell the people up stairs that there was someone delivering a package? NO! I mean really? Do they expect me to wait by my post box all day in order to receive a package when all this could have been solved if they had just rung the room like they're suppose to do? So, I cried, again, like a small, emotionally disturbed child.
Throughout the day I complained and whined to Ryan between my fits of rage and complete sorrow. I am actually quite surprised my phone still works because there was quite a bit of water that splashed on to it while I was crying and talking to Ryan about how stupid the postal system was and how stupid the banks were and how stupid the book store is and all that. I also sent a few emails to my father about the packages in which several four letter words were frequently used. So, thank you to both of them for dealing with my emotional break-down.
Well, I woke up Saturday with a strong feeling on conviction. I was going to get my freaking packages even if it killed me! So I walked down to the "local" package pick up place. I ended up getting lost and it took me a little over an hour to get there, but I got my packages alright. They hadn't lost my meds (thank Jiminey Cricket!) and I even got my other package. This one made me very happy because it had the book I ordered before I left in it!
Yes, I read modern pulp fiction. So sue me. For those of you out there whose heart just went pitter-pat because you've found a girl who reads comics and listens to old time radio shows I'm very sorry, but as you know I am completely spoken for. But! That doesn't mean you can't enjoy The Red Panda; Canada's greatest superhero! :) If you haven't heard of Decoder Ring Theatre I suggest you look them up in the podcast section of iTunes. They're really great and do some great work. It's completely free, though they do take time out of every show to shill for money. I am a monthly donor because I love the radio shows so much.

I also got a nail kit in the package (which was greatly needed) and until I find a better spot or purchase some little baskets for my bathroom it is hanging on my board.

After my success at the post office I decided to go into town. My straightener died on me so I figured I should get a new one and I did need a hair drier and a few other things. My breakfast (which was a Panini with Peanut Butter and Honey from a shop seeing as there was someone sleeping in my kitchen and I didn't have time to deal with it before I left so I just bought something and it was amazing!) was getting a little lonely too. I had walked for almost 2 1/2 hours straight. So, to town I went!

I not only bought a straightener and a hair drier, but my favourite Halloween movie ever!

Yes, I to change something on my laptop to watch it, but no October would be complete without getting to watch "Hocus Pocus" where Sarah Jessica Parker looks at a spider web, says "What a pretty spider!" and proceeds to stick the spider in her mouth. This movie just makes me happy.

I then, finally, found a blanket! I might go back to that store for another two of these kinds of blankets. What I didn't know is that it was going to be rectangular instead of square, so it's a little hard to cuddle up in it, but it's so soft and lovely. And it wasn't that expensive so why not? At the same store I finally got some real dishes. I've been eating off of plastic plates and bowls and what not since I got here and there is just something pleasant about eating off of ceramic dishes. :)That random little mug? I found it at the Cat Protection branch here in Aberdeen. The Cat Protection is like a charity store, but all of it's proceeds go towards housing stray and abandoned cats. I was looking for a small, all black cat stuffed animal and when I couldn't find it I figured I should buy something. I spotted that mug which has my three most favourite herbs ever (mint, lavender, and rosemary) on it and it was only 30p so I bought it.

While in town I passed the Disney Store in the mall and decided to have a look in just in case they had a Figaro stuffed animal. I was met by the most amazing Disney Store I think I've ever been in. Now, I LOVE Disney. Absolutely love it. So I spent a good half an hour in this store. I found really cute little bowls with Tinker Bell and Pooh and Eeyore on them. I almost bought them, but they were a little pricey. I also found a really cute 101 Dalmatians baby set. Now I just need to find a pregnant friend so I can buy it and give it to them. I just had a blast in that store.

After shopping for quite some time I decided to get a little something to eat at the Costa. I had me a Cappuccino and a Lemon/Orange Muffin.

My tummy satisfied I went to build a bear. It was the only place I had found that was selling all black cats that didn't have the cat's back arched and its hair standing on end. So, I bought my stuffed animal Bynx. She's a nice little substitute for my cat Mia back home. I really, really miss Mia and I miss having an animal around at all times. So with my new stuffed cat I can have it sit in my lap as I'm typing at my computer and it feels like Mia is here with me.

Bynx sits on the window sill sometimes and watches outside just like Mia does. :)

Needless to say I'm feeling much better. My roleplaying session is today and I think I'm running for First Year Representative. I'm not sure. I talked to Jamie about it last night over Facebook, but I'm not sure if I'm completely in the running...oh well, if I am I am. Maybe I'll email him just to make sure I'm on the vote.

Today I woke up early and went to the Episcopal church down King Street. It was a small Communion this morning of 5 people including me, but I hear the 10:45 Communion is larger. Now that I found my Episcopal church I need to find my SGI Buddhist meetings. That way I can feel completely in touch with my parents' religions. :)

On my way back I bought this pretty, little thing...
Yep. I am now a proud owner of an orchid. I'm pretty excited! This little room is actually feeling more and more like home. The only thing I really need is a small rubbish bin for my room instead of just having a plastic bag sitting under my desk. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment