Background

Friday, July 30, 2010

Scotland! Really!?

I was asked by one of you readers how I chose Scotland. I get asked this a lot when people find out that I'm going to Scotland for college. It's always the same thing. "Scotland! Really!? Now, why Scotland?" I generally make a little joke first. It's usually something along the lines of, "Well, I wanted to get as far away from home as possible and Scotland accepted me." That's only part of the reason. It will be nice to be completely independent and not have to worry about going to see my parents on weekends when all I really want to do is create my own life and hang with my friends. Assuming that I make friends. :) The other reason is that I am mostly Scottish. My mother is MacGregor and my dad is Campbell (no wonder why that marriage didn't last right). I've always been interested in where I came from and I don't mean the childish question of "where do babies come from?" I'm just fascinated by my heritage and since I'm more than 1/2 Scottish it made since for me to go there to learn more about my family. There's also the fact that I love history. I've been learning American history for years and after years of "George Washington was the first president, but he didn't want to be..." and "...in 1692 Columbus sailed the ocean blue..." you get bored. That's why I'm doing Celtic Studies. I not only get to learn more about me (I'm sure there is going to be a little section on the MacGregors), but I get to learn new history as well.

That's the basic reason why I chose Scotland. How did I find out about it? Well, I really only had one school where I really wanted to apply so she told me to get a Fiske College Guide. It lists colleges, what majors are most common there, how much they cost, and so on. I flipped to UK colleges quite by accident and it fell open to Scotland. I knew that if I had a chance of going to Scotland for college I would do it. So, that's how this adventure started.

No comments:

Post a Comment