Background

Thursday, July 8, 2010

Fingerprints

I'm officially fingerprinted. Hmm...is that a word? Fingerprinted? Shows you how ready I am to get get my degree in English right? Haha. Anyway, I had to go down the application support centre (no, I'm not getting ready for the UK. I always spell words like this. Colour, Favourite...you get the idea) so my biometrics could be entered in the system. It was a little weird because all I had to do was take a picture and have my fingerprints scanned. They asked me when I made the appointment to bring all these documents and papers but all they looked at was my passport and my appointment confirmation. Sigh...and I cam all prepared too. I had all my proper papers in an accordion folder in the proper order. Oh well, at least that part is over and done. I have to say, it was a little awkward. Living in CA I see many different nationalities all the time. Especially here in the valley. So you can imagine that I was...different while walking into a visa help centre. I kept getting this questioning look that said, "Why are you here? What did you do?" Haha, they were also pretty surprised that I knew how to speak Spanish...well, only a little. But enough to ask a little boy who kept eyeing Rocco (Rocco, for those of you who don't know, is my Guide Dog Puppy in Training) if he wanted to pet my perrito. :) I remember this one time that my mom was in the supermarket in Tennessee and these two guys were talking about her body in derogatory ways in Spanish. She turned right around and said in perfect Spanish, "You might want to watch what you say because you're never sure who can speak what language." HAHA! It made me laugh so hard when she told me that. No one ever thinks that she's fluent in Spanish because she's whiter than I am so she surprises a lot of her classes when they walk in the first day of Spanish. She's got a wonderful accent though. And I'm thankful I'm related to her because I can roll my R's perfectly. In fact when we lived in Costa Rica the old ladies on the island kept telling me what wonderful R's I had. Anyway, off of the rambling now.

I'm getting pretty excited! All I have to do is send in my visa application to the processing centre in Los Angeles.

2 comments:

  1. You must be so excited! I wish I was fluent in Spanish; that'd be pretty helpful at times :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really would. I wish that when I was little I wasn't so rebellious against my mom who kept trying to teach me Spanish. I'd probably be as good as her if not better because I would have learned since birth. But the extent of my Spanish is "My name is..." and "what's your name?" :)

    ReplyDelete