Background

Friday, February 25, 2011

"The Complete Maus"

Ok, so I know I haven't really written in a while. It's been crazy and I've been working on my RP study for my Dog Blog.

Anyway, a little fact that you might not know about me. World War II has always been my favourite war. That sounds a little weird to say. What I mean is, it is the war that has always interested me. Even when I was little I would read books on the German Camps and what America did to help. I think we I was 5 I asked if we had any relatives who went through the holocaust. Ah...I was so much more enthusiastic about learning when I was little. Maybe if I pretended I was 3 again I would find joy in sitting down with an encyclopedia and just reading. It's something I'll look into.

Back to the topic at hand.

My English course for this semestre is called 'Controversial Classics.' We're reading books and plays that were thought controversial when they were first published, but are now considered classics. We're going into detail about why there has been this flip of opinion by the public. This week's lectures are about a graphic novel.
It's "The Complete Maus" by Art Spiegelman.
Spiegelman wrote and drew this novel to tell the story about his father and mother who were Auschwitz survivors. It's a really compelling book and I highly recommend it if you are or ever have been interested in WWII.

No comments:

Post a Comment