Background

Friday, August 31, 2012

Tuition Fees and Advisor Appointment

So apparently my tuition has risen. *sigh* On Tuesday I went into campus to ask if this was correct and if it was why it had happened. The woman called the tuition department and they said that it had risen due to normal inflation and that I should have been notified when I accepted my place that this could happen. Only problem with that is that I was told I was on a fixed rate which means that I would pay the exact same thing through all four years of University. Man, someone screwed up big time there! And because I was told this I decided to check with my other Californian friend. Hers has gone up the same amount. So, I guess it's really true. But five hundred pounds seems like a lot when you think about it. I guess it's still cheaper than if I went to the University of my choice back in the states so it's really not that big of a deal. But what really gets me is that I did not receive any notification of this raise until I went into the online registration to change passwords, update personal information, and pay my tuition fees. You'd think that if they are going to raise tuition they would send out and email when it happened saying "We're sorry this has happened, but your fees have been raised." Just out of courtesy right?

All it means for me is that I have to be a little more frugal this year. I mean, I'm already very money conscious but I really don't think I can afford to have one of my fleeting and rare "spend money" moods. Especially since I'll have two or three big, expensive psychology books to buy this semester. So, it's a mild inconvenience for me and my wardrobe but I know for my friend it's a bit more. Since there was no notification she's gotta see if she can change her loan now. She's raised a little storm asking why they didn't notify he when they decided to raise the fees which is good. One of us should. Or both of us! Which is why I'm going in person today to pay the fees and tell them off a little.

But besides bitching and checking about tuition fees yesterday when I went to use the University Internet (our still wasn't set up in the afternoon but is working now!) I checked on my advisor appointment. It was finally scheduled. What a relief for me. I was beginning to get a little worried that they wouldn't give it to me until I paid my fees and I wasn't about to do that until I knew for sure that they were being raised for a legitimate reason. My advisor is the Social Psychology lecturer from first year and I remember liking his classes so I think I'll like my advisor appointment. Which is always a plus.

For the next week I am working on choosing my classes in preparation for the appointment and making posters and fliers for Fresher's Fayre!

No comments:

Post a Comment