Background

Tuesday, August 7, 2012

I'm Done Moving!

I think I've decided that I'm not going to move again. Well, at least not while I am here in Scotland. This last one really took it out of me. I guess you don't really realize how much stuff you have until you have to move it all down hill. At least that's what made me finally realize how much useless stuff I had laying around. To make things a little more difficult for me, I didn't really have anyone in town that could help with their car. So, I trekked up and down the hill about six or seven times with fairly heavy bags in tow. Luckily for me, my roommate Lisa's friend who was helping move all of her stuff with his car offered to take the last bit for me. Which was really nice of him because it involved a box of clothes, the kennel, and the outdoor run. And due to their size they each would have needed a trip to their own if I had walked them by hand. I'm definitely grateful at how nice he was in my hour of need.

I say my hour of need because I picked up a stomach bug on the plane back from the states to here. I didn't get any sleep the night before we moved and decided it was probably a good idea not to eat anything the day of. To say the least, I was bushed when he offered to get the last few heavy items.

Then, of course, there was the organizing of my new room. If I hadn't realized how much stuff there was by the time all of it was toted down the hill I was definitely made aware of the fact when I started putting things away. I think it took me three days to get everything thrown away (something which I vow to do before packing from now on) and sorted. And I'm still unsure of this current arrangement. Within the next week I'll probably end up reorganizing.

It's such a bothersome task. Moving that is. I mean, I really like where we are now. There are so many pluses to it. But, it was tiring. It was probably made even more tiring because of the way the state the previous tenants left it. I won't go into too much detail on the internet, but I don't think we should have had to clean the baking trays the day we moved in. I keep thinking, "Gosh! I know we cleaned the flat before left. And we cleaned it pretty damn good too! But I really, really hope we didn't leave it in this kind of condition." I know we didn't leave our old flat in less than a wonderful condition, but it just keeps coming to me in my nightmares. Yes, I know. Cleanliness isn't something a normal person has nightmares about. Ask my roommates. I'm terrible sometimes.

I'll leave this post by saying that, while it is taking some work, we've lived in this house for a week tomorrow and I think this will be a great place to spend my next two years in Scotland.

No comments:

Post a Comment