Background

Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Freshers Week

Well, Freshers Week started on Saturday when some of the freshers arrived and moved into their halls. This means that Aberdeen has come to life in the past couple of days. I totally forgot what a college town Aberdeen really is, but when the University isn't in session there are much less people walking the streets past nine. But this Saturday when we were walking back from the cinema we saw  group of freshers walking to the pub in their silly costumes. I guess we can't say they aren't organised as most of them had probably only arrived that afternoon.

The biggest part of Freshers Week for me since I'm a committee member of a society is the Societies Fayre. This is where all the societies set up stalls in a HUGE tent on the King's Pitch and try and get the new students to join. I think it's way more fun to work the fayre than to actually attend. But that's just me. Anyway, I got up at the ungodly hour of 7:45am to shower, dress, and get to campus by 9:00am to sign in our society so we didn't lose our stall. Then I spent the next hour and a half setting up the stall which actually involved a lot more sitting around than actual set up. Then the freshers slowly started to arrive and it was time to get to work in handing out my amazing fliers (not to toot my own horn or anything). We got a whole lot of people signed up to receive emails this week as reminders for our Freshers Events. I hope that many if not most of them decide to actually join.

The fayre ends at 3:00pm and even though it's only 2:00pm, I'm already home. Why? Because my new laptop broke and I'm waiting for the repair guy to come. I had a flatmate stay in this morning for me, but can't make them stay in all day and the repair technician can come any time from 9:00am to 5:00pm. *sigh* If they don't come there will be a long email written to Dell about scheduling appointments and not keeping them. Especially since the next one they'll probably make will be after classes start and I might not have a completely free day this year. They still have a few hours to get here and fix my brand new computer so we'll see.

Anyway, tonight will be Slains Castle Pub Quiz for the new people and I'm running on like four hours of sleep. Not by my own doing. I just haven't been able to sleep for the past few nights. There may be a nap in my future...or at least a gallon of coffee.

No comments:

Post a Comment